Having rambled on a month or so ago about half marathons I thought that now should be the time to say something about mountain marathons.
Back in 1975 remember seeing Mick Burke on Blue Peter talking about the forthcoming trip to the South West Face of Everest (the full story of the expedition is very well told in Chris Bonington's Everest, The Hard Way). Sadly Mick was lost on the way to the summit (for what would have been the first ever solo ascent) - also on the trip was Dougal Haston whose picture I saw on a poster advertising Karrimor products.
I picked up the Karrimor Technical Guide and, amongst all of the rucsacs, was an article on the KIMM (Karrimor International Mountain Marathon). This, obviously, must have made an impression on me as almost 20 years later when a friend of mine, Richard Bolam, suggested we attempt it I accepted the challenge - although I still say that it was mainly for the car sticker!
The idea is that you turn up at the start, they give you a map and you navigate to the overnight camp via various checkpoints. Then day two you repeat it!
We applied in 1994 & 1995 but were rejected before finally being accepted in 1996. Since then it has been - the KIMM changed to the OMM in recent years;
1996 Dumfries & Galloway with Rich Bolam
1997 Cheviots with Rich Bolam - the one year it didn't rain on either day
1998 Howgills with Rich Bolam - horrendous weather
1999 Cowal Penninsula with Rich Bolam - retired at the end of day one
2000 South Lakes with Rich Bolam
2001 Clyde Muirsheil Park with Rick King
2002 Cheviots with Rick King
2003 Langholme Park in Scotland with Andy King - timed out at the end of day two
2004 Brecon Beacons with Rich Bolam
2005 Ullswater with Rich Bolam
2006 Galloway Forest Park with Rich Bolam
2007 Lowther Hills with Rick King - retired at the end of day one
2008 Borrowdale with Rich Bolam - the year of the rain! Look up OMM 2008 on YouTube
2009 Elan Valley with Rich Bolam - after which Rich announced his retirement!
2010 Dartmoor with Tom Bacon
2011 Perthshire with Tom Bacon - retired day one due to illness
2012 Howgills with John Bell-Winfrow
2013 Brecon Beacons with John Bell-Winfrow
So that's 18 starts with 14 finishes. A lot of car stickers! Tom & I also competed in the Saunders Mountain Marathon in 2012 & 2013.
This year's event in South Wales was wet - I think that sums it up. On day two they ran the wet weather alternative but the high wind and rain still made it challenging.
Why do I do it year on year? Two reasons;
Firstly, if I have twenty completions I qualify for the 20 club and get a sweatshirt.
Secondly, because I can!
No comments:
Post a Comment