Sunday, 29 September 2013

Great Yorkshire Run

A 10K race is an odd animal.  If you talk to someone who has run lots of marathons then they look on 10K runners as people who can't run proper distances.  If you talk to the average "man in the street" about running 6.25 miles then they will look at you in horror.

Its an odd distance.

The night before I was due to run the GYR someone told me that if their sister beat me then they would mock me mercilessly!  Consider that I am 50 and his sister was in her 20s, then the seriousness with which I was approaching it.  My reply? "Tell your sister to talk to me when she has run over a hundred 10Ks".

I have run, probably 150+ 10Ks.  For years that was all I ran.  I did them as training runs every month for many a year before I discovered half marathons.  Still they have a place in my heart.

I love 10Ks - they are (for me) straight forward, have a good distance and are easy to pace (good day = 5 minutes per km, bad day - 6 minutes per km).

Today it was a lovely 56 minutes and a bit of shapnel.

Thanks to Michael Greenhough for the pace in the first bit and to Jane who I followed to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment