Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Friends (not the TV series)

During the past year I have experienced all sorts of emotion and put a huge strain on friendships that I have had for years but like to think that I have come out of it a better person and hope that it has strengthened the friendships.

So, how long does a friendship have to be before it is "special" and similarly when does a casual acquaintance/work colleague take that epic step to being a friend.

Some time ago I read some research (yes, I am that sad that I am fascinated by statistics) and, to paraphrase, it said that by the time you got to 40 if you had 15 good friends then you should consider yourself lucky and the average was around 8.

What does make a good friend?  Well, in my case when I think of some of the tricky (ok dangerous) situations I have been in the only thing that has kept me going is a high level of trust in friendship.  I suppose I should give examples so here are a few;

Sitting in a rally car going at stupid miles an hour heading for a little gap which was obviously not bit enough for the car to get through (thanks Charles).

Wild camping in the Dales in the middle of winter and having to battle to get down safely (Owen).

Climbing silly ridges in winter conditions (John).

Mountain marathons (Rich, Rick, Andy, John).

Winter crossings of the Three Peaks (Tracey).

Surviving kebabs in Huddersfield (Kev).

This is by no means a definative list - others have been there to take me to the pub after messing up on my A Levels, offering me support when things have gone wrong on long distance walks, buying me a pint after a race and so on.

Then there is the issue of family - when I once commented that my wife was my best friend I got a response that almost suggested that I was not allowed to say such a thing.  Similarly woe betide any suggestion that I would regard my sons as friends (although both of them could be placed in the list above).

Are Facebook friends really friends?  I suppose some are, others are casual acquaintances but others are just a virtual presence.   Similarly Twitter followers (although Mrs B always refers to them as my Twitter Friends) have the same fate.

Maybe the phrase "A Friend in Need......" should appear on Facebook before you send a friend request?

So, folks, that's this week's message - look after your friends because one day they will repay the favour.  I know because I have been there.

My friends - I salute you all.









No comments:

Post a Comment